Touchscreen Color LCD Screen Interface Solutions
Touch Enabled, Color Screen Control Panels, Instruments and Gauges
RV Control Panel Demo
Buttons, switches, LEDs, graphic segment displays are becoming a thing of the past, or at least the mechanical version of these. Color screens, touch interface, and smartphone graphics are slowly finding their way into the human – machine interfaces. Unlike the mechanical controls, they are fully defined by software, they can be more intuitive to use, more eye-candy through animations, can display more information at a glance, and more reliable since there are no mechanical contacts that wear out. The enclosures become simpler since they only have to accommodate the LCD screen and easier to make water resistant. A full solution can be reduced to a single chip that can drive the screen and perform other functions relevant to the whole system at the same time.
Thornwave Labs Inc. is offering custom LCD screen solutions for a variety of applications. Shown above are some example that are running on a STM32F429 CPU development board and a 7″ color TFT screen with touchscreen.
Let’s talk about the RV control panel demo. This solution can replace multiple components: the old control panel, the thermostat and even the DC part of the electric panel by adding electronic fuses controlled from the main LCD panel, battery monitoring and so on. Features that were reserved only for the high end RVs can now be added at a very affordable price: slide automation, leveling capabilities, battery monitoring, dimmer controlled lights, audible alarms, integrated audio players, IoT capabilities and so on. Your imagination is the limit. Obviously, the same ideas can be applied to trucks, boats and so on.
The software is based on Thornwave Labs’s proprietary graphic library: Iridescence. It was designed to run on low power, Cortex-M CPUs with a minimal memory footprint. For example the entire code that implements the RV control panel is only 70kb in size + PNG and bitmap font resources (about another 80k) and needs roughly 7Mb of RAM (most of it being three framebuffers).
Iridescence Graphic Library Features
- object based, developed in C/ C++
- easy to use and no need to learn fancy languages just so you can use the library
- efficient code, designed to make it easy to create user interfaces (the code for the RV panel is less than 500 lines)
- anti-aliased renderer for drawing land filling lines, rectangles, circles, arcs, polygons, …
- blending / filling surfaces
- contains library of graphic elements like buttons, sliders, switches, gauges and so on
- easy to derive new graphic elements from the existing ones
- capability to add animations
- accepts input from a touchscreen or other pointing device
- PNG image decoder builtin so developers can use image resources
- uses bitmap fonts
- includes tool for generating bitmap fonts from any TrueType font file
- hardware acceleration for specific architectures that support that
How Can We Help You?
Bring a touch of hi-tech to your projects, design for the 21st century ! Your customers will love it. We can help you achieve just that!
We design and manufacture the hardware, making the process for you as easy as possible. For a company to develop the electronics / software for LCD interfaces it’s a huge undertaking. It requires lots of capital, hardware engineers, software engineers and time. We already have a solution! Let us deal with this part of the project while you can focus on what is it that you are building. We’ll also develop the firmware for your specific application to your specific requirements.
For inquiries contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org